Saturday, December 14, 2013

Throwing Red Lipstick at Passersby

I wanted to make a blogpost about my makeup and outfit from last weekend. I really did love the outfit and it was first time going out with a more retro look. I went to go see the Nutcracker ballet with my grandparents and thought it was a good time to try something new and dress up a bit.
I'll start off with the outfit since it will be less explaining.

Shirt: lola
Skirt: Loft
Shoes: Paris Hilton the Shoe Collection
That peplum skirt is fantastic, especially in red. If you want your butt to stand out all you need to do is wear a red peplum or a tight knit skirt and some platforms and you will be set.
Moving on.
It's a simple look compared to my usual makeup. Also I did pin curls for my hair to come out this way. Usually I have my hair straight or up. The pin curls took me about 45 minutes and my hair is 5-6 inches past my shoulders.
I used 2 different hair tutorials to get these pin curls. One is more visual while the other is more informative. I found both of them to be helpful though since this was only my second time trying out pin curls and these were actually more of a success than my first attempt.
Jenny's tutorial is all visuals. You will just be watching her do her pin curls. Her technique is a bit different than some others I've seen and it works very well with her hair, but not so much with mine.
This is Ashley's newer video on how to do pin curls. It's step by step with a voice over. She even tells you what products she uses. She has plenty of techniques. Her "get ready with me" videos also show how she does pin curls. One of her videos is essentially the authentic way of doing pin curls and I plan on doing that when I get the right products.
I did a strange mixture of both videos and only combed through my curls with my fingers since I did not have any brush thin and light enough to not completely destroy the curls. However they're not perfect and I'll have to keep trying until they actually look like full on pin curls
On to what I used for my makeup.
I've been enjoying this Eyes on the 60's palette from BH Cosmetics. It has two rows of neutral colors with or without shimmer and lots of bright and more subdued colors for anything else. For this look I used the cream color 2nd from the left as my highlight and overall lid color, Buck from the Urban Decay Naked palette for my crease, and the dark brown color with shimmer 2nd from the right for my outer corner and lower lid.
 To line my eyes and water line I used Maybellien Eyestudio gel liner in blackest black. Honestly, I don't like this liner at all. It smudges too easily and barely ever stay. Plus it dries up in the jar fairly quickly. I find myself having to warm up the product on my hand or it gets clumpy. I only use it for more dramatic looks and then put black eye shadow on top to set it a bit. The brush it brings is very good to make precise lines though. That might be it's one redeeming quality.
 
I rarely have ever used powders but this is my absolutely favorite. This is Airspun Loose Face Powder in Translucent Extra Coverage(?). This stuff is usually $5-$8 at your local drugstore and it comes in various shades. I had no idea I had picked up the extra coverage one until I took these pictures. I usually use a puff and pat on under my eyes and use a brush to quickly skim over my nose and chin. This is heavy duty stuff and will make you look pale if packed on. For me it works as a good way to set my concealer and foundation under my eyes and add a matte highlight. Honestly a fantastic product. I prefer it over the Palladio Rice Powder even though this smells much stronger.
Favorite blush alert! This is the Balm's Frat Boy and the cutest pink I have ever used and it doesn't look blue on me. I used a similar pink from another brand and was not a fan. This also looks pretty matte in the picture but it has a pretty shimmer so that if you only dust on a tiny bit it gives you a pretty glow and not a pink flush. I love any of the Balm's face stuff though so I'm pretty biased.
The only bronzer I have ever bought more than once in my life(probably 4th time buying it and I already need to get another one). Too Faced Chocolate Soleil in Original Chocolate is a matte chocolate brown color. It smells like hot chocolate and looks like packed hot chocolate in a tin. I usually take a round kabuki and pat in right under my cheekbones and sweep it up to my temples once for good definition. For more drama I repeat this process twice.
This is an amazing red lipstick that I hope never gets discontinued. It's Rimmel's Lasting Finish Lipstick by Kate #10. I wish these lipsticks had cute names. Anyway I wish I could carry a box of just this lipstick around and throw it at anyone who says that red lipstick is not for anyone. Seriously, anyone who puts on this color looks fantastic because it such a perfect red. I will admit that I do find it hard to find since I do believe it's quite a popular color. When the line originally came out it had about 10 lipsticks in total and this was one of the originals. I wish they had just kept the original 10 thought, especially that perfect purple.
I don't have a picture of my foundation because for whatever reason it won't download from my phone to my laptop. I use 3 different foundations but this time I used MUF Mat Velvet+. I don't know what color because it was not listed on the bottle. It's an alright foundation. It's medium to full coverage just like my other foundations but there's just something about it that I am not a fan of. Also this is a foundation I only use when I have not been out in the sun for a while.
I usually apply this foundation with the round brush that is sold as the preferred brush to use with the Naked foundation. I also use a replica of the $20 face sponge. I got that sponge for $5 at Marshall's.
So this is my first makeup/outfit/hair post. I hope it was at least fun to read. I am going to try to do more posts similar to this but with an actual tutorial or something. And maybe some makeup that is a little less commonplace. Ha!
Thank you for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment